Take advantage of the Advanced Search techniques to find the best results. Basic biographical information will be easy to find. You will have to dig a bit deeper to find what historical events or life experiences might have influenced your poet's work and life.
Keywords to think about in your Google search should include: biography, experience, influence, movement, time period, accomplishments.
Use these Advanced Search Techniques to find reliable information:
- Exact match: put words or phrase inside quotes. Example: "Billy Collins"
- A specific website: put site: in front of a site or a domain. Example: site:youtube.com or site:.edu
- Don't want a word? Put - in front of the word. Example: When search for soccer and you don't want football, use -NFL
- Combine searches: use OR. Example: marathon OR race.
Verify your source is reliable and authoritative. Is the site accurate?
- Can you identify the author of the website? Cam be an individual, company, educational institution, government agency, etc.
- Answer these questions:
- Is the author identified? Is this person identified? Is there contact information for this person? Does the url reveal anything about the author? (,com. .edu., .gov).
- Look for links that say "about us," "our mission," or FAQ. Look author up in a search engine such as Google.