How to read a primary source.
1. IDENTIFY the source - WHAT type of source is this?
2. WHY did the person who created the source do so?
3. What FACTUAL INFORMATION is conveyed in this source?
What OPINIONS are related in this source? - What is IMPLIED or conveyed unintentionally in the source?
4. ANALYZE the source - How does the creator of the source MAKE HIS OR HER POINT?
5. EVALUATE the source - How might OTHERS AT THE TIME have reacted to this source?
How does this source compare to SECONDARY SOURCE ACCOUNTS?
What do you BELIEVE and DISBELIEVE from this source?